I started this right after the new year, but there were a few questions I couldn’t answer so I wanted some time to reflect. I’ve filled a few of them in and am still drawing a blank on a few others. I last did this survey in January 2006, so it’s fun to see how much has changed and how far (or not) I’ve come.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I grew a baby and gave birth.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any last year, and I don’t have any specific resolutions for this year either.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Uh, besides me? Lots of babies in my friend circle this year. My friends Jennifer and Chris had Felix in March. In August, friends Beth and Cooper had Susanna, Julie and Demian had Otto and Brooke and Zach had Jack. Leslie and Seamus had Audrey in September. Other babies born this year: Ellie, Emma, Charlie, Piper, Evan, Jenawyn, Winter, Henry, Esha and Monica – in that order (I think).
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn’t make it out of the country this year, but I made it out of state several times. This year I was in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Washington DC, New Jersey, New York, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. (I was also in West Virginia, but that was only for about 10 minutes between Pennsylvania and Ohio on the way to Illinois.)
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Well, this is more for Tim than me, but it does affect us as a family unit. I would like Tim to have a new job – one that is more suited to his career goals.
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 28, 2011. My daughter Adelaide Fen Pannell was born.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I birthed Adelaide without the assistance of painkillers or medication. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done and after that, I feel as if I can do anything.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don’t like to dwell on the negatives…
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Besides the aches and uncomfortableness associated with pregnancy, it was a pretty healthy year, fortunately.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My smart phone and my netbook computer. They were both immensely helpful during my maternity leave.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Tim and I went to a show in April. It was the day before we had our “reveal” when we found out Adelaide’s sex. We shared a table with two middle-aged women. They left early and picked up our check without us knowing – what a happy surprise. Also, all our family and friends who showered us with love, support, gifts and food during my pregnancy and after Adelaide was born.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Hhmm. I have a certain individual in mind here, but it’s not public appropriate.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Student loans.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Besides the birth of my daughter?
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer?
Happier, yet fatter and more poor. Awesome!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Yoga, exercise in general.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent it with my family in Central Illinois.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Yes. Her name is Adelaide.
22. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
What Not to Wear, Parenthood, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Party Down
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
Unfortunately, I didn’t finish many books this year that weren’t pregnancy or child-rearing related. I did enjoy Vonnegut’s Slaughter House Five, which I had never read.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don’t know that I discovered any new musical artists or bands this year. Is there someone you’d like to introduce me to?
28. What did you want and get?
A natural, fast childbirth and a healthy baby.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Another tough one. Maybe Crazy, Stupid, Love.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My sister Gina was in town to meet Adelaide. The four of us went to get gelato at Capagiro in the afternoon and we all went to El Vez for dinner. Adelaide was only two and a half weeks old, and she slept through the entire dinner. I had my first alcoholic beverage in a very long time. I turned 34.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Maternity and post-maternity.
34. What kept you sane?
Tim. Adelaide’s pacifier. My blog.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
This is a stupid question.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oh, where to begin…
37. Who did you miss?
My family. Sure do wish I could see my parents, sister and in-laws more often.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Adelaide. (Do you see a pattern here?)
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Live in the moment.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I can’t think of one. Suggestions welcome.